Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Friday, August 12, 2011

Rides, Cults, Stickers, Fists...

August 12, 2011

The Good: I signed up for a ride program offered by the Cancer Society, a program I previously didn’t think I was eligible for, thanks to a friend I checked it out again since radiation appointments every day for 5 weeks is a long stretch to bum rides or bus it.  While making small talk on the first day, I asked my driver what her motivation was for volunteering for this service... She is one of 12 siblings, 8 of those siblings were diagnosed with cancer, and 4 survived, 4 died.  Yup, she’s familiar with cancer, and so much for my “small talk” distraction. 

My driver arrives on time; get’s me to and from my appointment in one piece, doesn’t get all crazy if I’m having a bad moment, and we share the love of travel... life is good.

Adios OC Transpo... for now I’ve got a new set of wheels but I’ll surely miss your speeding through the downtown streets, your sudden stops that threaten whiplash, and I’ll especially miss your sunny disposition when someone asks you a question.

The Bad: Most people would agree that cults are not good; at least those of us who look in from the outside, but the people inside see things different, they embrace what they are told to be good without reason.

Cancer Centers are kind of similar with slogans like “Bald is Beautiful” or the “Chemotherapy Journey” that features a man and a women walking hand in hand through the woods, and my favourite, “What’s bothering you, why are you upset”. 

There is nothing beautiful about chemicals so harsh your hair falls out, rarely did I have the urge to walk hand in hand with anyone after chemo although the woods are convenient for puking, and I’ll give you three guesses as to what’s upsetting me, and the first 2 guesses don’t count. 

While I’m not looking for doom and gloom when I enter these units, I am expecting some sense of reality... so as much as you say all is well in Cancer Land, I’ll continue to look in from the outside as don’t see a place for me, thanks for the invite though!

The What the ???: The machine they use for radiation is covered with stickers... pretty blue dolphins, sparkly hearts and swirly party favours that you can stare at while getting radiated. 

Is this supposed to distract me from what’s going on??? Please, I’m not 5, and as far as I know this is not used for children... I was then asked what kind of music I’d like; they recommended “The Big Chill”. 

I recommend a good stiff drink upon arrival; maybe two... some mind altering drugs, heavy metal music... and perhaps then I’ll enjoy the sticker show.

Lessons Learned: No matter how much you try to manipulate a situation, look at it from different angles or pound your fists against the wall, it is what it is so leave it at that, your fists will thank you in the long run...

No comments:

Post a Comment