Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Chemo Brain, The “Bob Cut”, Beyond Cancer, Emotional Scars...

September 23, 2011

The Good: From day one I heard about the dreaded “chemo brain” from Doc’s, Nurse’s and patients.  Apparently chemo brain is the result of all the chemicals you’re subjected to which affect how you think, your memory, judgement, etc... As I’ve learned along the way, and it’s not always a good thing, but I don’t often experience what others do, but in this case I’m happy to report my brain appears to be fog free. 

During a visit with the oncologist a friend accompanying me said “hey doc, she doesn’t have chemo brain, if anything she’s sharper than before, but I’m worried about myself, I can’t remember anything these days!”

The Bad: I had a dream where I’m in a room filled with women, packed in like standing sardines, shoulders touching me I scan the room.  The woman next to me has short blond hair, kind of wiggish looking but not, and I notice all the women have the same length of hair, not style, just length.  I ask her why and she says “didn’t they tell you; your hair will never grow past this point”.  I felt like I was a character in a Stephen King novel, and that’s not a good feeling for those of you not familiar with his work.

In real life, most that dish out the treatments have never been on the receiving end, you can tell this by how they explain what will happen; those who do know firsthand what to expect are guarded with their words. 

I’m confident my hair will grow back, not so confident though on what the future holds as a result of what’s gone on this past year... as in what will happen because of what they don’t know, and what they don’t share...

The What the ???: I made an appointment with my Family Physician, in theory I did this to get back on track with life.  Once I arrived though I realized how out of touch I had become, I’d forgotten there are things to be done outside of Cancer Land, and found myself at a loss for words, not knowing where to start, and forgetting who I was before this all happened. The kid tearing across the room looking anything BUT sick had “thrush” whatever the heck that is, the woman to my left was getting her annual physical, and the man who had just finished his appointment announced cheerfully to his wife that he’s expected to live to be 100...

The waiting room was filled with non-cancer patients and for the first time in a while I felt like an outsider because I wasn’t surrounded by people like me.

Lessons Learned: My body is starting to heal; there is no pill though to erase the emotional scars of this past year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment