Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Friday, March 18, 2011

Boxing, War, Hide-A-Beds, Strength...

March 18, 2011

The Good: I never realized how many people were in my corner until I was backed into one...

The Bad: I was having a bad day, you know, the type where you just want to bitch and have someone say “I hear ya”... well, this person said “walk it off soldier, walk it off”... which in hind sight, was what I needed to hear.

Two days later I found out I have four months of chemo ahead of me, surgery was a success, just not good enough...

I have a feeling this soldier will be doing a lot of walking over the next few months, walk it off soldier, walk it off...

The What the ???: So, back to the creepy basement where I have physio... they recommended I try massage, perhaps it would release some of the locked muscles, sounded like a good idea...

The massage table appears to be from the 1950’s, for sake of argument, let’s say 60’s... and for someone who just had surgery, this seemed frightening.  I asked about a massage chair, they thought that was a great idea and would incorporate it next time... yeah, like I’ll be coming back... I did what I could to get comfortable on this broken plank... is it just me, or would you think a massage place in a hospital that is part of the physio unit would have more up to date/ adequate equipment.

Have you ever slept at someone’s house and they had one of those hide-a-beds with a bar that goes right across your back, and no matter what you do you can’t get comfortable, and you wake up the next morning all crooked vowing never to return, cursing the day you met them... ok, that last part is a bit harsh, maybe just vowing you’ll never return and thinking “why, why, why would you even have something like this???”... that’s what the massage table was like.

Next time you make a donation to any Cancer organization, perhaps you could add a side note that it could be put towards massage tables.

Lessons Learned: I’ve had several people tell me I’m strong and have been such a fighter... am I?  Am I any different than anyone else who would be put in a similar circumstance?  I don’t know...

I look at all the men and women in the cancer unit and I know what they are going through, to some degree... and to me they seem strong... the lesson here, for me, is that if there is a difference, as in some people aren’t strong, I won’t be one of them, I am strong, thanks for the reminder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment