Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Friday, October 28, 2011

Drums, Checklists, Mind Alterations, Cake...

October 28, 2011

The Good: I’ve come to realize that my drum doesn’t necessarily beat to the same rhythm as everyone else’s, when asked if the glass is half empty or half full, I think “it’s got water in it”.  

I don’t feel like I’ve “battled cancer”, I’m no freaking soldier and nobody gave me a gun to fight this with, and does that mean I either win or lose, are my troops willing to die for the cause, is someone going to give me a medal, or declare October 26th a holiday?  I don’t want to be known as a “cancer survivor”, I just want to resume my life and be known as me.  And I hate “pink ribbons” just as much as I hate the term “the new you”, fuck you; I’m happy being the old me.

I’ve come to realize that my drum doesn’t necessarily beat to the same rhythm as everyone else’s, and I’m good with that.     

The Bad: Have you ever noticed that you can say the same thing with a different tone or delivery and that same sentence can mean something else?

For example, “Is the cancer gone?” delivered in a flat non committal tone means I’m just asking you a question for the sake of asking and I’m not really thinking about you or its content.   What I thought was “the door has barely closed since the last treatment, which you are aware of, how about we give it a couple more days before declaring this a miracle”, what I said was “I don’t know.”

Asking that same question with the addition of a few words and some feeling, it could have gone something like this... “Do you know if the cancer is gone?”  While the answer for both questions is the same, the person on the receiving end doesn’t feel like nothing more than a useless check list and they know you at least thought about what you were asking. 

And for the record, just because I’m able to do laundry, doesn’t mean I’m cured, and unfortunately I can’t predict the outcome of my next follow-up appointment so don’t ask that same question two different ways, and yes, I agree with you, some of these questions do sound silly.

Think before you speak and mean what you say, a checklist is merely a guideline of what needs to be accomplished, use it wisely and you can get all the necessary results.

The What the ???:  I was thinking the other day I’d like to wipe out my memory from October 26, 2010 to September 12, 2011.  And if I can do that, I’d also like to wipe out the events that occurred as well; although I realize in doing this I’ll also erases the positives, what a dilemma... 

What to do, what to do... I’ve decided to go with the mind and event erase, but before I do that I’ll write down all the good stuff people did for me so I don’t forget that part J

Lessons Learned: It’s October 26, 2011 and I’m sitting in a restaurant with a very good friend of mine sharing a meal.  We talk about the last year and I get flashbacks as to why I hate this date so much, when a waitress walks to the table in front of me with a huge cake, candles blazing, singing happy birthday to its surprised recipient.  I guess October 26th as a whole isn’t all that bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment