Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Friday, November 11, 2011

Windows, Other People, Carp Diem, Moments...

November 11, 2011

The Good: I’ve been told on more than one occasion by different people that I wasn’t ready for something, “something” being living the life I was meant to live, and that I wasn’t ready to do that.

Imagine you’re on a stage filled with windows, and you can peer through each one and see a different phase of your life.  I did this and could see clearly through each window and I didn’t understand why I can’t be ready for anything, everything makes sense.  These people were wrong.

So now I’m standing on that same stage, not wanting to look through those same windows as more panes have been added, I’m afraid I’ll break them, but I look through them all with no broken glass. 

I look through the first one and see the same thing as before, the second is clear as well but something is different, I can see a picture in the middle as to how it connects to the first.  I look through the third and see another picture showing the connection to the last two, moving on to the fifth I see how it relates to the Ninth, and I look through the same window and see the same phase as before but it means something different.   

The pictures in between the panes were probably always there, and although each window was clear in the past, I saw what I wanted; I wasn’t ready.  

The Bad: ‎I get more emotional when I talk to other people who have cancer than when I talk about my own situation, I think I see my pain in them.

The What the ???:  Over the last year I’ve tried more and more to live in the moment, and it’s not as easy as it sounds. 

I get caught up in distractions like TV, Movies, Technology, Books, Daydreams, etc... enjoying the make believe of it.  I’m not saying I’ll never do these things again, I’ll do them less.  For instance, when I’m riding the bus, I don’t use my phone, I have no plugs in my ears piping in music, and I don’t imagine what I could or should be doing, I’m just being there, on the bus. 

So as I’m doing this, being there on the bus, I notice this guy smiling... he says hi and comments about the lady with a cane getting off, and how it will take her a long time to get up that hill, but that she’ll get there.  Then he talks about a trip he took with his sister to a medieval castle and how they sat in this magnificent room sipping wine not saying a word, enjoying their surroundings. 

He then asked if I worked at the hospital or was visiting (pretty much everyone on that bus is going to the hospital), I said visiting.  He said he was on his way to the cancer unit.  I, assuming he was a patient, said I had cancer as well.  Turns out he didn’t have cancer but was a supervisor in one of the units, had been for 22 years, in a unit I’m all too familiar with. 

We walked through the doors of the hospital together continuing to chat when he touched my arm, looked me straight in the eyes, paused, smiled, and then said “Carp Diem” and walked away.

Now, the moment I experienced on the bus ride home was an entirely different story, still a moment, just different...

I looked around to see what’s going on and notice the guy a few seats away, for lack of a better term, is jerking off.  My first thought was “REALLY, REALLY, you’re doing this here!!!”  Then I thought, before I do something, I have to be sure  he’s doing what I’m accusing him of doing and to do that I have to look again, which I do, long enough to confirm, yup, that’s what he’s doing.  To be clear, he didn’t have the object of discussion fully exposed as the nylon/ polyester blend athletic pants allowed for easy access and manoeuvrability.  As I was about to report this “moment” to the driver, he exited the back door of the bus and disappeared onto the crowded street.

Lessons Learned: I like being in the moment whenever I can... albeit some moments are better than others, and some may require the assistance of law enforcement, it’s still better than being draped by distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment