Welcome to my Journey nicknamed "My Moonstone Journey" for no reason other than that's what came to mind, and it started on October 26, 2010 when I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer.

I thought this would be a good way to unload my week's events as a means to maintain my sanity, as well, an avenue for family and friends to see what's going on.

I had no idea what would happen after October 26th, I have no idea what will happen today, I have no idea about tomorrow, and I'm starting to accept that, and it scares me a little less each day approaching the unknown...

If you're reading this, chances are you're one of those people who are holding my hand through this and for that I Thank You...

Friday, November 25, 2011

Yoga, Yoga, Yoga, Yoga...

November 25, 2011

The Good: We are asked to put a block on our yoga mat, then place our bolster (rectangular cushion) on the block, followed by draping our bodies over the bolster back first, arms spread, staring up at the ceiling like a snow angel. 

All my body parts seem to be aligned; I close my eyes and wait for the next set of instructions. 

Her voice, very softly asks us to remain like this for as long as we like, and I do, not moving, just enjoying this feeling of peace and comfort, being that snow angel I once was but without movement... I can’t remember the last time my body felt this good.

The Bad: ‎She enters the yoga studio as if on a fact finding mission, me, I’m killing time on the stationary bike waiting for the instructor to arrive.  Not wanting to chit chat I go back to staring at my feet as they go round and round on the pedals. 

She adjusts the lights so that every bulb is blaring out of their sockets, and asks, “How’s this?”  I explain that the instructor usually keeps them on a low setting during class, and she replies in a military type tone, “fair enough, eye sensitivities must be considered, blah blah blah”, and I go back to staring at my feet. 

Partway through class I hear sounds from her direction, and the teacher checks in, she confirms it’s not the poses causing discomfort; rather it’s that her cancer has spread to her bones and any type of contact with the floor can be painful.    

Everyone in this class has cancer, which doesn’t mean I have to like them, yet I of all people should have had some empathy for her earlier, and rather than focusing on my feet which I can do anytime, I could have engaged more in conversation before class. 

I saw how she looked at the instructor, how her face changed when she spoke, and I got a sense that she was simply lonely; a side effect from cancer I’m all too familiar with.

I haven’t seen her since that class...

The What the ???: I’m guessing he’s a caregiver for someone who has cancer as they are allowed to attend as well; it’s not likely that he’s one of us. He’s younger than most in our class, muscular, fit, and I got a sense he’s good at whatever he does, he projects being a go getter kinda guy, or at least that’s what I see as he pumps iron before class begins. 

As do all classes we begin with a brief introduction, starting with our name followed by anything else we’d like to say... when it comes to him, he introduces himself, tells us he has just been diagnosed with cancer and completed his first treatment last week.  He also mentions he can be very intense, and that this is his 2nd or 3rd yoga class, it’s the best thing he’s ever tried, and that we’ll be seeing him on a regular basis as he’ll be attending as many classes as possible.

Lessons Learned: You’re never too old to be a snow angel, I could use a lesson or two on empathy, and looks can be deceiving...

No comments:

Post a Comment